Re: Is There a Problem? (was: The Progress of CSS)

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005, Mark Moore wrote:

> What is most disappointing is that influential contributors like
> yourself and CSS 2.1 editors like Ian Hickson and Håkon Wium Lie don't
> seem to see that there is a problem.  Or possibly, the belief is that
> this is an unsolvable or *necessary* condition.

Things would always be better if they were faster. As far as CSS2.1 goes,
we're going as fast as we can. As I mentioned, we have had over 900 issues
raised against CSS in the last 3 years or so. That's around one issue a
day, every day, for three years. Each issue has to be logged, understood,
discussed in committee, may have to have testcases created, user agents
studied, and results tabulated, then a resolution has to be found, new
text has to be written, edits have to be made, and finally changes have to
be verified and reviewed.

Frankly I think it is a testament to the dedication of the CSS working
group members that any of this happened.

If people want this to go faster, I suggest they put their money where
their mouth is, and contribute tests for the CSS2.1 test suite. That is
the biggest bottleneck right now for getting CSS2.1 to REC.