Re: [CSS21] properties for table-column (In HTML: COL) & table-column-group (In HTML: COLGROUP) items.

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005, ray whitfield wrote:

> > The problem is that 'color' is an inherited property. Inheritance is
> > done before layout (it has to be, since the layout depends on
> > inheritance). You don't know what is a column until you've done the
> > layout. To make 'color''s inheritance depend on the layout thus
> > doesn't fit CSS's model.
>
> The same argument can be made for not supporting any property inherited
> or not: the inheritance issue is not the problem. Since the border of a
> cell may be specified by a col property and a column can not be known
> until the layout has occurred then the value of the boarder property for
> an individual cell can not be known.

The computed value of the border-* properties can be known. The actual
rendered border does not necessarily equal the computed values of the
border-* properties, in the table collapsed border model.

In the case of 'color', the text colour of an inline element is always the
computed value of the 'color' property of that element. That is usually
determined by inheritance, which is done before layout.

> Besides, the background property supports the inherit parameter. Does it
> break the CSS model if I specify inherit on one of the supported
> properties ?

Again, no, because there the background is the column's background, not
the cell's or that of the content of the cell.

> In my experience IE implements the CSS specification (with regard to
> table elements and their properties) better than the entire family of
> mozilla based browsers.

Your experience is mistaken or limited. IE has virtually no support for
most of the CSS2.1 table model ('display: table-cell', etc).