Re: [CSS21] properties for table-column (In HTML: COL) & table-column-group (In HTML: COLGROUP) items.

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 19:36:09 -0500
To: Paul Duncan <paul.duncan@marketpipe.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org

Paul Duncan wrote:
> I cannot see how the 'color' of an element can in anyway affect the layout.

This is true, more or less (issues with rendering devices with large rendering
units aside for now).

> Here's a simple solution?!?
>
> First pass all CSS aspects relating to layout are applied.
> Then the layout is rendered
> Then a second pass renders aspects relating to color and other non-layout
> styles.

This might work, but you still have to define inheritance for these "non-layout"
properties would work.  Oh, and have inheritance work differently for "layout"
and "non-layout" properties.  That could get a little complicated to both
understand and implement, but maybe the pain is worth it...

-Boris