CSS design goal, was: Re: The Progress of CSS

I think everybody would like to know the main
purpose of CSS 2.0/2.1 design.
More interesting in fact is to know CSS design
goal in general.

What is the main motivation/purpose of CSS devlopment?
What is the final target/direction?

I can see two possible answers:

1) To define in CSS all current layout features of HTML 4.0 to
be able to reproduce HTML 4.0 layout on any "abstract
tree". I understand the target but cannot understand its purpose.

2) To define in CSS convenient set of presentational
features allowing to implement flexible yet simple to use
layouts/presentations.

For me it seems that WG is moving in first direction
(e.g. all this naive and straightforward attempts to *emulate*
table layout and at some extent only, sic! )

I think that #1 is not a goal for such an abstract presentational
language as CSS. E.g. SVG has it's own layout specific features
and this does not definitely mean that CSS 4 needs to absorb
them too.

I honestly think that #2 is a right direction.
HTML, SVG, XUL, XAML, {yet unknown}  will have their own
features and CSS can bring them new quality but not
substitute them.

If we will switch to #2 then we can exit CR right now (I guess).
(Just remove display: table-* as anyway it does not
allow to emulate tables in full)

If we will switch to #2 then we can finally start thinking
about something new in principle: e.g. simple flow:horizontal
versus ugly, too heavy and specific display: table.
Probably, I hope, we even can start thinking about flex units (aka %%)
and generalize them. Sigh....

If we will switch to #2 then we can start implementing all that
highly demanded features versus "fighting against
windmills" ((C), Don Quixote ) - reiplementation of
existing features already in use.

Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://terrainformatica.com

Some historical citations:

"One of the features of the Argo style language was that it was general
enough to apply to other markup languages in addition to HTML. This also
became a design goal in CSS and "HTML" was soon removed from the title of
the specification. "

"CSS level 2 became a Recommendation in May 1998, and level 3 will probably
follow towards the end of 1999. In the meantime, not only HTML relies on CSS
for its presentation. Many XML-based formats also need CSS, and the browsers
that come out in late 1998 show the first, still somewhat limited, steps
towards presenting XML data. "

Source:
http://www.w3.org/Style/LieBos2e/history/