Re: The Progress of CSS

Kris wrote:
>Adam, your point is well taken.  But a couple points back at ya.
>
>The date carried by CSS1 is "W3C Recommendation 17 Dec 1996, revised 11 Jan
>1999"  That's a 2 year process from 1, to 2.1...

To 2.0, but point taken.  And to throw the point back at you, the
rules to become a formal Rec have been significantly tightened since
then.  Two years between Recs is pretty reasonable.  Seven years is
not.  Perhaps the rules have been made overly stringent.

>this is developement, not
>implementation.  Again if we factor in IE's stagnateness for the last 4ish
>years, all these numbers make a bit more sense.

Then perhaps we shouldn't be counting on IE in order to formalize a
Rec.  And if your answer to that is that we aren't, then why is IE's
stagnation relevant to this discussion?

>As an addendum to that the date carried by CSS3 is "W3C Working Draft, 23
>May 2001".

And this is great.  I am just concerned that it is going to take way
too long to progress from WD to Rec.

>I kinda feel we're jumping the gun here.  Just because it's taken a while
>to this point, doesn't mean it will continue to be abnormally long.

I am skeptical, but I hope you are correct.  I just don't see CSS3
exiting WD status for a very, very long time.  Just as one example,
the CSS3 Fonts Module shows a target date for CR as Jan. '05, and
release as a Rec sometime in '05.  Yet, it isn't in CR now, and has
been in WD status for nearly 3 years.  Does anyone seriously think it
is going to be completed in six months or less?

And that's one of the simpler modules.

>We
>just need to get all the 3rd party players to play nice.

I think there's more to it than that.

--

-Adam Kuehn