CSS ID, xml:id confusion

From: Orion Adrian <orion.adrian@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 22:22:45 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org

Maybe this has been answered elsewhere, but I haven't seen it.

What is a CSS ID (the one referenced by #)?
What is an xml:id?

How on earth are we to know they're the same thing?

Personally I'm not in favor of either spec mentioning the other except
possibly in examples. What I would like to see is both specs reference
something else; something that specifies that they are what they are.

Otherwise there is no way to say that they should interact.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but for two points to interact their has to
be a common point of reference.

Orion Adrian