Re: [CSS21] properties for table-column (In HTML: COL) & table-column-group (In HTML: COLGROUP) items.

From: Orion Adrian <orion.adrian@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 21:57:39 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org

On 6/30/05, David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> > It can be reflowable (hence the use of percentages) and it can be
> > based on viewport size and not pixel lengths.
>
> The most common, in my view, breakdown of attempts to impose layout
> result from failing to use calculated font sizes as the unit of
> measurement.

Well how does one represent the weights and proportions with only font
sizes? How do I say that I want navigation as 30% of the document and
content as 65% and the sidebar as 25%? I can only envision this with
percentages. How would you do it without percentages and would this
match the mental model the web designers have in their head?

> > Yeah... um, no. Device layout would finally fix the largest problem
> > with unknown destination today, by moving the problem to the device
>
> If you weren't so pro styling layout, I would say you had just
> invented structural markup languages, like HTML!

The term structural markup language is kind of vague. How is it
structured? What does structured mean in this context?

I believe layout is content and that it is independant of document
content. Read "Layout is content, not a property of content" another
thread in this newsgroup. That covers most of what I'm talking about
in a more cohesive way.

Orion Adrian