Re: Intrinsic size of jpeg images

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 leslie.brown@evidian.com wrote:

> On the other hand, I'd expect a web browser to ignore the "300dpi" and
> render the image at 600x900 pixels in the absence of any width and
> height definitions in CSS or HTML.

600x900 CSS pixels, or display pixels? (Note that there is not a
one-to-one mapping from CSS pixels to display pixels, CSS pixels are
actually an angular unit.)

Why would you expect something to print at the specified absolute size,
but display on a screen at a different size?

> To take the idea to its logical extreme, if the "correct" approach is to
> treat the dpi resolution as gospel, then videoprojectors would have to
> incorporate a rangefinder so that they could measure the distance to the
> screen, calculate the total image size, and tell the PC driving them to
> scale the jpeg image accordingly...

Yes. This is actually required by CSS for font sizes and margins set in
pixels, for instance. Not that anyone yet supports this.