Re: Question on collapsing margins and block reflow context roots

From: Anne van Kesteren <fora@annevankesteren.nl>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 11:54:35 +0100
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>, www-style@w3.org

>>> IMHO the default rendering of <button> should be 'inline-block'
>>> and the default rendering of <fieldset> should be 'block', with
>>> the <legend> positioned over the border edge either via
>>> positioning or via extra-CSS means.
>>
>> I'm aware that that is your opinion.  It even sorta works for
>> button, but for <fieldset> the extra-CSS means is exactly what you
>> need; there's no way to get the common default rendering of
>> <fieldset> in CSS.
>
> You can get very close with real CSS:
>
> http://junkyard.damowmow.com/173
>
> ...with minimal amounts of extra-CSS, I don't see the problem.

The problem is the definition of the special <color> value the
'background' property of the LEGEND element should have.

I tried to solve this once back in November 2003:

  <http://annevankesteren.nl/test/form/layout/test.htm>

I believe I even mailed www-style about a possible
'display:fieldset|inline-fieldset' and 'display:legend' so it could be
manipulated and authors could whatever they please.

--
  Anne van Kesteren
  <http://annevankesteren.nl/>