Re: Question on collapsing margins and block reflow context roots

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 14:48:34 -0600
To: David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com>
CC: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, www-style@w3.org

David Hyatt wrote:
> Everything Ian described is what Safari (WebCore) does for <button> and
> <fieldset> (and for overflow non-visible elements).

Except what Ian described for <fieldset> is different from what CSS 2.1 requires
for overflow non-visible elements...  I'm re-quoting what Ian said, for reference:

>> IMHO the default rendering of <button> should be 'inline-block' and
>> the default rendering of <fieldset> should be 'block', with the
>> <legend> positioned over the border edge either via positioning or via
>> extra-CSS means. But I acknowledge that this is not normatively
>> defined anywhere.

So per Ian, a <fieldset> is just another block.

I just tested Safari 1.0.3 (has this been changed since?) and overflow:hidden
box size is affected by floating descendants, whereas fieldset size is not.  So
I'm not sure how to read your statement, which implies that they behave
identically...

-Boris