Re: CSS property name incompatibilities

From: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 22:23:39 -0500
To: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
/ Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com> was heard to say:
| Now, inverting your text we get:
|
|   I think it's unfortunate that the XSL WG has not chosen to adopt the
|   CSS properties that already exist for this purpose. Electing to invent
|   new names for existing functionality in other W3C Recommendations may
|   impact interoperability and future compatible growth.
|
|   I encourage the XSL WG to reconsider their choice of property names
|   and values for functionality that they have independently reinvented
|   since the CSS2 Recommendation was published.
|
| Care to comment?

Seems entirely reasonable to me, though I doubt it's the sort of
correction that can be made in the context of a minor update like XSL
1.1. Perhaps we should setup a task force to revisit harmonization
across the board when we get to 2.0? I guess that'd have to be taken
up at the HTML/XML CG level?

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--