Re: [CSS3] UI element states pseudo-classes

Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
> Reading "UI element states pseudo-classes" [1] I think that make sense:
>
> 1)  to remove :checked  pseudo class as it mimics exactly
> input[type="radio"][checked]  and input[type="checkbox"][checked] selectors
> 2)  to remove :enabled  pseudo class as it is enough to have :disabled
> 3)  to remove:indeterminate as it describes behavior (redundant, btw) of
> check/radio boxes only and on one particular platform.

Regarding 1), the 'checked' attribute on input tags is a source thing to
denote a preselected radio button or checkbox. Checking different boxes
will not change the source code (just like entering text in an input
field will not change its 'value' attribute). So input[checked] will not
apply to the currently checked input fields.

About 2), removing :enabled, that would be bothersome as well. With
:enabled you select only the elements which are enabled, and with
:disabled you only select those which are disabled. If you'd remove
:enabled, there would be no way to only target the enabled elements
except by targeting them all, without pseudo-class, and then overriding
all the properties you set in a :disabled pseudo-class. Not very
convenient :).

I don't see a reason to remove 3) for the reason given. I'm unsure what
you mean exactly by 'platform', whether you are referring to the OS the
browser is built on or the browser itself. In any case, there are many
things in CSS which are not supported currently on any platform. I don't
see why this is different and those platforms could not add
functionality for an 'indeterminate' checkbox, as tri-state checkboxes
are quite useful...

So much for my response :).

~Grauw