Re: Collapsing 0 width margin

From: Brian Sexton <discussion-w3c@ididnotoptin.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 22:43:12 -0800
To: "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: <www-style@w3.org>

Ian et al.,

> Zero margins do collapse, yes. Margin collapsing in general is rather
> confusing, but it's too late to change things now, pages depend on it.

I disagree about it being too late to change things now; developers make the
best of dubious and poor designs and implementations all the time, but that
is no reason to stop improving both.  We are talking about aesthetics here,
not air traffic control; the good that could come from making improvements
to CSS for the countless pages that will use it in the future easily
outweighs the risks of new browsers displaying margins a little differently
for the considerably smaller number of extant pages that would be affected.
It is too late to change the past, but it is never too late to improve the
future.

Kind regards,

Brian Sexton