Re: Supporting propriety "Extensions"

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 12:32:21 +0000 (UTC), Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

>> If that list is of any importance -xv- should be added as well for
>> Opera. (Although I think that is being addressed, as one of the authors
>> works for Opera.)
>
> The list is not supposed to be comprehensive. It's just a list of what
> was known when the table was created.

Also, the -xv- prefix was made because CSS3 Speech was a working draft [1]
at the time of implementation of XHTML+Voice [2], and still is. We intend
to support the prefixless properties when CSS3 Speech reaches CR, so
thereafter the prefix should be of historical interest only (there are no
plans to add new -xv-properties), unless you need to write aural style
sheets that are backwards compatible to Opera-versions before that. We
will then support the -xv-properties for a reasonable amount of time for
authors to update their style sheets.

I agree that a spec shouldn't be a repository of proprietary prefixes, the
initial hyphen should be a good enough indicator that the given property
isn't part of any W3C specification.

[1] <http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-css3-speech-20030514/>
[2] <http://www.voicexml.org/specs/multimodal/x+v/12/>

--
Jonny Axelsson, Documentation, Opera Software ASA