Re: Additive Box Model Vs. Subtractive

From: David R <david@davidr.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 11:10:36 +0000
To: David R <david@davidr.co.uk>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

Hello (my first post and all that)

I was wondering if there were any plans to add an option to switch
between the subtractive (ie: IE5) and additive (current) box dimension
models.

There are a number of instances where the subtractive model had
advantages over the current model. For instance, if you have a box you
know to be 500px but need a 1cm border and 0.5em worth of padding, then
it gets complicated.

I'm thinking of something like:

selector {
     box-model: [additive | subtractive ];
}

P.S. Are we final on the use of a "CSS DTD" header to inform UAs what
version of CSS is currently being used?

Regards
--
-David #R