Re: Nullifying insidious HTML 3.2 constructs

Philip TAYLOR wrote:
> > And for foreign-word, use <dfn>...
>
> But unless I am mistaken, <dfn> is intended to be used
> "to mark up terms which are used for the first time" [*];
> since most Latin phrases need no glossing (for an
> educated audience, at least), I would have thought that
> <dfn> was /in/appropriate unless it is really to
> be followed by a definition ...

Well, in common typography the italics on e.g. foreign or technical
words is used to indicate the term is unknown, after which the
definition usually follows. The succeeding instances of the term aren't
rendered in italics, which is probably what the designers had in mind
when creating this tag (and probably the best method to follow when
creating markup :)).

But you shouldn't take it too strictly (as-in only on the first
instance). If you really want to let the following occurances of the
terms show up in italics as well, I think it is better to use <dfn> for
the job than say, a <span>, or worse, <em>, which is just wrong.

> [*] http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/wilbur/phrase/dfn.html

It would be better to quote the HTML specification :):

http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/text.html#h-9.2.1

"Indicates that this is the defining instance of the enclosed term."

~Grauw