Re: [css3-background], comments on 'box-shadow'

From: Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 18:56:43 +0000
To: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org

Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:

[snip]

 > Conclusion #1: Having border-image feature  implemented, shadows will be
 > rendered using border images in most of the cases.

[snip]

 > There are many ways to draw antialiased lines and curves.
 > Professional web design will never rely on them. Border images
 > will be used instead.
 >
 > For me 'box-shadow' and 'border-radius' and the way they are defined
 > looks like a naive attempt to provide a "cool features" which will be
 > used only by "naive designers". Real professionals will never use them.

And so "real professionals" will continue to produce image- (and hence
bandwidth/download-time) intensive pages which annoy the hell out
of most of us, whilst the non-professionals will continue to produce
lightweight, effective, pages that load in a fraction of the time,
look /almost/ as good, and deliver the message.  So be it.  Sounds
just fine to me.

Philip Taylor