Re: [css21] multiple ID attributes with the same value

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 12:14:10 -0800
To: www-style@w3.org
On Sunday 2005-02-13 00:42 +0100, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> Would it be possible that CSS 2.1 specifies something similar to XPath
> 1.0[1]? Something in the lines of: "When multiple ID attributes with the
> same attribute value are found only the first should be considered
> significant."

I don't think such a statement belongs in CSS.  I think it belongs in
the specification defining the ID attribute in question (and its
uniqueness constraints).  (And, as Ian said, CSS can apply in ways that
an ID selector could legitimately match multiple elements without any
errors being present.)

-David