Re: [css3-ui] 6.1 should say 'pseudo-element'

From: Anne van Kesteren <fora@annevankesteren.nl>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 11:22:09 +0100
To: "Justin Wood \(Callek\)" <116057@bacon.qcc.mass.edu>
CC: W3C CSS List <www-style@w3.org>

Justin Wood (Callek) wrote:

> Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>
>> If the 'content' property in terms of CSS 3 UI really is the same
>> as in CSS 2.1 only extended with a new value it should read
>> "pseudo-element" not "(pseudo-)element"[1].
>>
>> [1]<http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/CR-css3-ui-20040511/#content0>
>
> I assume(d) the content property in this context is referring to the
> CSS3 content property, without requiring the CSS3 version to be used.
> iow, it does apply to :before and :after (as CSS2.1 syntax); But also
> applies to foo { content: bar; } and other cases.

That would be wrong, in my humble opinion. It does make a non-normative
note that another CSS 3 module is most likely going to include a
superset of the property.

That CSS 3 module (css3-content) would be the most appropriate place to
mention that 'content' applies to elements as well and that it is true
for all its values as well. (I wonder if the latter is needed, but who
knows.)

If not, css3-content should be a normative reference, not an informative.

--
  Anne van Kesteren
  <http://annevankesteren.nl/>