Re: Display: inherit and positioning schemes

On 7 Feb 2005 at 9:09, L. David Baron wrote:
> On Monday 2005-02-07 16:15 +0100, Staffan Måhlén wrote:
> > Shouldn't the table at
> > 9.7 Relationships between 'display', 'position', and 'float':
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#dis-pos-flo
> > include the 'inherit' value?
>
> No, but the section should be clearer that it's describing a stage
> that's at the end of computed value computation, after 'inherit' has
> already been resolved to the parent's computed value.

Aha, i should have checked the definition of "specified value" before
i wrote that.

> > Or perhaps even better, shouldn't the 'inherit' value be deprecated?
>
> Eh?  'inherit' applies to all properties.  Are you proposing it be
> deprecated for all properties, or just some?

All actually, but I don't know enough to tell if that would be
feasible. Do you know any webpages that use it? To me it seems like a
UA-developer feature rather than a CSS author feature.

Thanks for the quick reply,
 /Staffan