Re: Display: inline-table

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 15:16:48 +0000 (UTC)
To: Staffan Måhlén <staffan.mahlen@comhem.se>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
On Sun, 6 Feb 2005, [ISO-8859-1] Staffan Mhln wrote:

> When is the display value 'inline-table' typically used?

When you want blocks to flow next to each other, and want those blocks to
have table-like renderings.

> Are there old-style HTML constructs that require it?

Not to my knowledge.

> Why does it get its baseline from the first row, contrary to how
> 'inline-block' get the baseline from the last line in the block?

The question is actually the other way around, since inline-table predates
inline-block by several years. If I recall correctly there was not much of
a strong case either way, but <textarea> needs to bottom-line-align, and
it could be an inline-block, so bottom it is. It's also useful to have it
different from table so that authors can just use inline-table if they
need the opposite (instead of having to have a property to control it).