[CSS3] Staged scanning

From: Christian Roth <roth@visualclick.de>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 13:44:16 +0100

Am I correct that scanning a CSS3 stylesheet requires staged scanning,
i.e. at least two passes of tokenization with different tokenization
rules each?

The way I currently figure it needs to be done:

1. Tokenize stylesheet according to CSS Core syntax:

2. Determine where the selector part is:

3. Recombine all tokens making up that selector part again into a
character stream.

4. Re-scan the selector part, but now with the tokenization rules of the
Selector scanner:

Note that this tokenizer definition is quite different than the one from

If this rather complex process is not the way how to parse CSS3, how is
the intended way to do it?

Regards, Christian.