Re: selectors 6.6.1: formatting

From: Adam Kuehn <akuehn@nc.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 12:24:10 -0500
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>, www-style@w3.org

At 12:07 PM 12/29/2005, Ian Hickson wrote:
>  > UAs may therefore treat all links as unvisited links, or implement other
> > > measures to preserve the user's privacy while rendering visited and
> > > unvisited links differently.
> >
> > I would agree, although if the word "therefore" were omitted from the
> > second sentence, the formatting would make sense as is.
>
>The word "therefore" is intended to indicate that the reason for the
>lax conformance clause is the security concern in the previous paragraph.

I understood the purpose for the word, but the formatting implies
that the normative text can be understood even if one fails to read
the notes.  That is not true in the presence of the deductive
conjunction.  In my view, the deductive step is clear enough without
the "therefore", and the presence of that word creates an
inappropriate dependency on the non-normative text.  I would still remove it.

-Adam Kuehn