Re: selectors 6.6.1: formatting

From: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 12:16:37 -0500
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: www-style@w3.org

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Dec 2005, Elliotte Harold wrote:
>> In these two paragraphs the first is formatted in green italic, as a
>> note. The second isn't. I expect they belong together and should be
>> formatted the same.
>
> No, the first paragraph is a note, and thus non-normative, but the second
> is normative, and therefore not a note.
>
> This is thus intentional and the current odd juxtaposition of
> non-normative and normative text is the result of a compromise used to
> settle a long discussion in the working group.
>
> Please let me know if this does not satisfy you.

In that case, I suggest the following change. Remove "therefore" as
previously suggested in this thread and reverse the order of the two
paragraphs. i.e.

UAs may treat all links as unvisited links, or implement other measures
to preserve the user's privacy while rendering visited and unvisited
links differently.

Note: It is possible for style sheet authors to abuse the :link and
:visited pseudo-classes to determine which sites a user has visited
without the user's consent.