Re: Selectors: substantive comment: Use xml:id

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 16:44:32 +0000 (UTC)
To: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005, Elliotte Harold wrote:

> I recommend that the CSS selectors spec *require* (or at least strongly
> recommend) that conformant implementations recognize xml:id attributes
> as IDs for the purpose of CSS ID selector matches as described in
> section 6.5.

xml:id attributes must only be recognised as IDs in UAs that implement
xml:id. We do not want to make conformance to Selectors dependent on
conformance to xml:id. Naturally, in implementations that do implement
xml:id, it is a requirement that xml:id matches #id selectors -- this is
already the case given the current description.

Please let me know if this does not satisfy you.

> I further claim that the existence of xml:id makes the statement in 6.5
> that "Elements in XML 1.0 documents without a DTD do not have IDs at
> all." false.

I have removed this sentence. If the working group disagrees with this
change upon further review, I will let you know.