Re: [CSS3] tabbed(stacked) ...

From: Matthew Raymond <mattraymond@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 14:34:41 -0500
To: Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org

Daniel Glazman wrote:
> Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
>>Some thoughts about:
>>http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-css3-layout-20051215/#tabbed
>>
>>Seems like CSS indeed is entering "behavioral style" area.
>>
>>Tabbed panels switch is a typical UI element/component and it appearead
>>first
>>as far as I remember in IBM's CUA documents.
>
> Andrew,
>
> See
>
> http://daniel.glazman.free.fr/weblog/archived/2003_01_05_glazblogarc.html#87183885
> http://daniel.glazman.free.fr/weblog/targetExample.html#general
> and http://www.w3.org/Style/Examples/007/target.html

   With using :target for tabs, there are several problems:

1) It shifts the current focus of the document. If I was looking at a
section that's at the top of a page and click a tab near the bottom, I
believe the behavior in most browsers would be to jump down to display
the set of tabs a the top of the page.

2) The page doesn't remember what tab you were on if you click on a
hyperlink to another part of the document.

3) It pollutes the URL.

4) It doesn't allow for nesting of tabs inside tabs.

5) It prevents hyperlinks within a tab, since the tab will no longer be
the target and promptly hide itself.

6) It doesn't provide for the tab orientation features in the spec.

   It may also have nasty effects on forms that use tabs, but I'm not
sure. My personal feeling is that we need HTML for the activation and
display of "cards" in the "stack" ("deck"?), but we need tab orientation
support in CSS.