Re: styling xml with css - copying xml attribute values into CSS attribute values

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 19:37:41 +0100
To: "Orion Adrian" <orion.adrian@gmail.com>, www-style@w3.org

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 13:37:40 +0100, Orion Adrian <orion.adrian@gmail.com>
wrote:
> However, he is right in that you can apply semantic behavior through
> CSS, and not just a look.

Not in the way he suggests you do it.

> myheading
> {
>     role: heading;
> }
>
> And this is perfectly accessible, or at least as accessible as XHTML
> is when you have CSS. XHTML just implies certain role behaviors.

It is not. Your examples are not supported by any UA. XHTML is supported
by most.

Also, this would require some additional document where XHTML already
contains this kind of meaning. Not to say I really dislike your "proposal"
though. Quite often there seems to be some need to let CSS specify
semantic hints/semantics.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>