Re: styling xml with css - copying xml attribute values into CSS attribute values

From: Noah Scales <noahjscales@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 13:27:25 -0800 (PST)
To: Laurens Holst <lholst@students.cs.uu.nl>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

Hi, Laurens.

My creative use of the word "meaning", as in, "display
meaning", or "display semantics", has to do with
meaning to a browser, not meaning to a software agent.

You think that CSS doesn't give meaning to HTML, that
it just gives HTML mark-up display semantics. Sure, in
the same way that accompanying CSS styles my custom
hypertext mark-up. The only difference is that
browsers have default CSS interpretations of the
"meaning" of HTML coded into them.

You wrote:
"With regard to your comparison of the two documents,
I really do not think that your XML is any better than
the HTML. In that XML I see 99%  overlap with HTML,
just differently named elements."

Anyone is capable of writing mixed-content mark-up
whose elements are ordered and nested so that a
browser can display it. So lets write CSS to let file
formats like DOCBOOK and OPENDOCUMENT display as
hypertext. In docbook, table-of-contents,
cross-references, and index elements make good

You wrote:
"RDF or even OWL. XHTML 2.0 will also provide
additional hooks for that in the form of the role and
property attributes."

Too much work, Laurens. Humans read my mark-up through
the browser display. Search engines process my CSS to
find stuff they'd like to index for others to find.
Good enough.

I'd like hypertext-browsing mixed content XML
documents to be simple and transformation-free. So
browsers require just a CSS file that specifies
document formatting, including formatting features
relevant to hypertext, like anchors (xpointer?) and

Anyway, Laurens, I really should leave the list and
stay away. Thanks, once again, for your responses.

Do You Yahoo!?