Re: styling xml with css - copying xml attribute values into CSS attribute values

From: Laurens Holst <lholst@students.cs.uu.nl>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 22:43:12 +0100
To: Noah Scales <noahjscales@yahoo.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

Noah Scales schreef:
> So what is it you're really asking for?"
>
> Let people write their own hypertext languages. Let them use CSS to
> specify what those languages mean to browsers, to search engines, and
> to people interested in the display semantics of that mark-up.

CSS is styling. Nothing more. It certainly doesn’t convey meaning and it
never will.

HTML is the standard that browsers (including non-CSS-capable), search
engines, use. If you want to write your documents in some XML-based
custom language, fine, but then let the server transform it so that it
ends up as HTML. Otherwise it will not be accessible. You can add your
own elements to HTML by means of the class attribute.

What you’re suggesting is another layer. It seems you’re talking about
RDF and ontologies. For more info about that, see:
- http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-primer/
- http://www.w3.org/RDF/

Anyways, I’d say www-html or www-rdf-interest-request is a much more
suitable place for this discussion. It has very little to do with CSS.

~Grauw