Re: styling xml with css - copying xml attribute values into CSS attribute values

On 12/13/05, Noah Scales <noahjscales@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi, Anne.
>
> You wrote:
> "CSS is designed to be an optional layer. The whole point of using known
> elements is that the page remains meaningful without it. For example,
> Google does not render the page graphically. It does not read CSS files
> attached to documents, etc."
>
> Yes, you are right, Google does not read CSS files as I described. But it
> could once CSS can specify full XHTML functionality for any mark-up language
> that has CSS to describe the language's display semantics to a browser.

"display semantics"?

XHTML doesn't really represent semantics the way XML does necessarily.
XHTML represents the tools we use to organize a document. Titles,
paragraphs, tables, sentences, words, charts, video, images are all
tools used to represent information. This information exists
independant of the mechanisms used to communicate it; similiar to the
way different languages can be used to communicate the same ideas.

Labeling something a paragraph doesn't really say anything about what
the paragraph is trying to say while labeling something as my pet's
name does. What XHTML does do is describe the relationships between
the paragraphs, images, headings, sections, and the document/page
itself.

XHTML doesn't represent the meaning of the data, just the structure
used to communicate that data.

So what is it you're really asking for?

--

Orion Adrian