suggestion: common CSS prefix

From: Benjamin Piwowarski <Benjamin.Piwowarski@laposte.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 12:09:15 +0000
To: www-style@w3.org

Dear all,

I would like to submit a suggestion regarding the CSS inclusion that
would be helpful when including third-party extensions within a web
site, or external XML files within an XML file, etc. I searched the
archives and did not find another similar proposition so I think this is
not a duplicate.

The idea is to provide a common prefix for the whole CSS selectors;
let's take an example:

Let "external.css" be a file with

div { ... }
img { ... }

When including the css stylesheet within an already existing web site,
we would like to apply the CSS definitions only within a subpart of the
X(HT)ML file: for example by creating a "<div id='external'>" enclosing
tag. With the current CSS mechanism, if we don't want the new
definitions to interfere with the main CSS file(s), we have to rewrite
every conflicting definition with:

div#external div { ... }
div#external img { ... }

The idea would be to be able to specify a common prefix, thus only
writing it once: for example, that could be done that way:

@prefix div#external;

div { ... }
img { ... }

Benjamin