Question on step 1 in section 10.3.8

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 00:36:30 -0600
To: www-style@w3.org

I'm trying to understand the rationale behind the first step in section 10.3.8.
  As far as I can see, this step has the following effects:

1)  Makes layout of replaced and non-replaced absolutely positioned elements
different.
2)  Makes it impossible to get the layout you get with "left:0; right:0" in the
non-replaced case when working with a replaced element.

I suppose that this algorithm makes abs pos replaced elements behave closer to
block-level replaced elements in terms of sizing... but it seems to me that an
author who _wanted_ this behavior would simply set left or right to auto and
that step 1 significantly limits author flexibility when using abs pos replaced
elements...

-Boris