Re: [CSS21] Examples

From: Rijk van Geijtenbeek <rijk@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 13:13:07 +0200
To: "WWW Style" <www-style@w3.org>

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 03:35:20 +0200, Chris Lilley wrote:

..

> That does not seem to respond to the original point at all. It doesn't
> answer the question - is "example" content, or is it added using
> styling?

Both. Markup quote from the spec:

<pre>
em { color: red }              /* predefined color name */
em { color: rgb(255,0,0) }     /* RGB range 0-255   */
</pre>

This shows the folly of mixing external styling and style attributes BTW: the usability of the document is reduced when the external stylesheets are missing. I assume this can be rectified (apart from making sure the correct 'default.css' is available, by replacing the style attribute with a class attribute and an addition to the external stylesheet. Lacking the intended 'default.css', I assume the intention was to rely on the color change and the word 'example' in the text near the example, and only show the word 'Example(s):' as in the quoted markup in case the color coding is missing.

BTW, it is stated here:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-CSS21-20050613/about.html#q15
.. that notes and examples are "marked within the source HTML".

[note: Opera's mail server is having a tough day, so I hope I don't duplicate a faster response from someone else ]

--
            Get Opera 8 now! Speed, Security and Simplicity.

                                                    Rijk van Geijtenbeek
                                  Opera Software ASA, Documentation & QA
                                 Tweak: http://my.opera.com/Rijk/journal