Re: [CSS21] Section 15.2

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 09:56:08 +0000 (UTC)
To: Craig Northway <craign@cisra.canon.com.au>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005, Craig Northway wrote:

> Section 15.2
> Are the lists in section 15.2 meant to be normative? I.e. this is how a
> user agent must behave? Please include conformance statements if this is
> the case.

It is how a conformant user agent _does_ behave, as section 3.2 requires
that "A user agent that renders a document with associated style sheets
must [...] render the document according to the media-specific
requirements set forth in this specification".

As previously mentioned, the specification is written so as to define the
processing model, a description of how an implementation of CSS acts. It
would thus be inappropriate to litter the specification with RFC2119
terms, especially since it is unclear how the specification could be
phrased if that kind of conformance model was adopted (the 8.3.1 section
being a canonical example of something that would be nigh on impossible
to specify in that way).

Please let us know if this satisfies your request,