Re: [CSS21] Lack of version control for content

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 22:50:48 +0300
Cc: www-style@w3.org
To: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>

On Aug 25, 2005, at 16:44, Chris Lilley wrote:

> Experience with the CSS validator shows that the lack of version
> identification is a significant problem for managing CSS content; there
> is no way to indicate to which of the multiple, changing, overlapping
> versions of CSS the stye sheet is attempting to comply.

Why is it important for a style sheet to tell what it attempts to
comply with? Isn't it more interesting to ask "Does this style sheet
comply with CSS 2.1?"? In that case, it is the user of the validator
who should give the desired CSS version as additional input.

Compare this with how DTD validation and RELAX NG validation work. I
think the RELAX NG model with the validation process taking two
independent inputs (the schema and the document) answers more useful
question than the DTD model in which the document provides its own
schema.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi