[CSS21] 3.2 Conformance: User Preferences

From: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@tu-clausthal.de>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 17:57:26 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org

| UAs must allow users to specify a file that contains the user style
| sheet. (...) Additionally, UAs may offer other means to specify user
| preferences, for example through a GUI.

Are these additional user preferences, e.g. minimum font size in many
browsers, considered user (important) styles after or before actual
users stylesheets, or are they completely independent of the cascade and
act approximately like physical restrictions of the output device?

IMVHO they should be like user important styles at the beginning of the
user stylesheet, so as a user I could for example select a general
minimum font size of 12px, but say in my actual user stylesheet
something like

   h1 {-vendor-min-font-size: 16px !important;}
   @media print {
   *  {-vendor-min-font-size:  6pt !important;}
   }.

Regards,

	Christoph Päper