Re: Gradients in CSS3?

From: Emrah BASKAYA <emrahbaskaya@hesido.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 00:23:27 +0300
To: "David Woolley" <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>, www-style@w3.org

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 00:03:11 +0300, David Woolley
<david@djwhome.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>> SVG means that separate image files have to be used, while for many
>
> data: URL?

data:url's are not re-usable, or are they? So even if you are going to use
the same image, you have to re-put the same data all-over. I use them for
my User.css, but there I can put a data of any-size without worrying.

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 22:00:56 +0300, Laurens Holst
<lholst@students.cs.uu.nl> wrote:
> So, if you have the background or borders of that block be a gradient,
Why redraw? Yes incremental rendering is important, but why incrementally
render a gradient?
Why not render it only after the elemens size is determined? This is very
typically like an image loading, and appearing after it is loaded.

And why not add an extra color in the equation, like our standin color,
which should be obligatory?

> but: will authors specify a fallback colour? For every author that

They will, if they want their site to be viewed by CSS2 browsers, or if W3
makes it obligatory to specify a stand-in color. Not that I am against
your suggestion.

> doesnít, the page is probably impossible or very hard to use on browsers
> that donít support those gradients. So, the syntax would at least need
> to inherently provide a fallback, like:
>
> background-color: blue;
> background-color-gradient-to: top-bottom red;
>
> Because of the above mentioned reason, this is a better syntax than
> gradient().

Well, this is fine me actually.
I still prefer the degree solution, which I have detailed (and no-one
seems to be bothered with it!)

--
Emrah BASKAYA
www.hesido.com