Re: Gradients in CSS3?

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 18:52:03 +0300, Ryan Cannon <ryan@ryancannon.com>
wrote:

> The only problem is that gradients aren't that simple. Authors are going
> to want to control the following:
>
> - Color 1
> - Color 2
> - Direction
> - Shape
> - Length of color 1 before it starts gradiating toward color 2
> - Length of color 2 before it starts gradiating toward color 1
> - Length of color 1's gradiation toward color 2
> - Length of color 2's gradiation toward color 1
>
> If authors want to include something this complex, they should learn
> SVG. Don't forget: by the time CSS 3 gets implemented, this will be a
> whole lot easier to do with SVG authoring tools than it is now.

Authors may want a lot of things, but:
Color1
Color2
Direction
is all they are going to get, and that actually covers the logical 90%
uses of gradients. Anything more fancy than that, they'd need to do with
SVG.

Authors may want a lot of things from CSS, but that doesn't mean a simple
solution is worthless.

http://www.hesido.com/display/cgtalk/gradbrowserinterpret.png

As this shows, direction can be in degrees, and yet we don't have
definition problems, yet it looks somewhat clearer. Authors would not need
to know the maths behind it. They'd try each degree if they wanted so, and
decide what would be best for their design.

--
Emrah BASKAYA
www.hesido.com