Re: Gradients in CSS3?

Maniac schreef:
>> That is far less flexible though, and I
>> can't see that any user of CSS would have problem using degrees;
>
> I'm talking about complexity for authors. CSS is mostly hand-written
> after all, and it's hard to count atan(57/143) in mind.

Eh? Surely everybody knows that if 0 degrees is top-bottom then 90
degrees is right-left? And that 45 is something inbetween? I don’t think
that is complex for authors.

Degrees advantages:
- Degrees is easier to specify (no need to specify keywords).
- Keywords require the author to know what the different keywords are.
- More flexible than keywords (more angles possible).
- Has using keywords in a ‘function’ got precedent? It seems odd.

Keywords advantages:
- Easier to implement, no need to work with sine and cosine.
- Gives a clear indication of the exact direction. As opposed to
degrees, which might raise questions: at what point does it start (top),
and in what direction does it turn (clockwise). The suggestions in
parenthesis are the same on e.g. margin, so it’s not just out of the
blue though.
- Only two keywords needed really.
- 99% of the cases will use straight angles anyway.

Frankly, either is fine with me.

~Grauw