Re: Gradients in CSS3?

From: Ben Ward <benmward@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 13:52:59 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org

> That seems to me to be straying into the area of SVG.

Whilst I agree with you that this is perfectly possible to do with
SVG, I also agree the others that providing *simple* gradients in CSS
would be beneficial to the CSS developer base. The effort of producing
an image for a simple gradient is quite undesirable.

To define simple, I mean:
* start colour
* end colour
* direction

More complex gradients with defined start points, > 2 colours, etc.
really should be left for SVG, in my opinion, but something with a
'small' syntax would be nice.

As for syntax, perhaps:
   background-color: gradient(start-color, end-color, direction);

Where the colours can be any valid CSS colour value, and direction is
specified in degrees (0-259).

I wouldn't want anything more complex that that. By way of example,
Microsoft are currently using their proprietary gradient filter on
their homepage (microsoft.com, IE only) to nice effect. The syntax is
ghastly, but the actually effect very simple and effective.

Ben
http://ben-ward.co.uk