Re[4]: Solving the alpha images and background-color problem

From: Ron van den Boogaard <ron@ronvdb.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 00:30:58 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 00:58:01 +0300
"Emrah BASKAYA" <emrahbaskaya@hesido.com> wrote/schreef:

>We are talking about images with transparency, and background-color
>showing through transparent parts. We need a solution so that when the
>image is loaded, the background-color changes / or to put it in another
>persective; we need a color until the image is loaded to provide necessary
>contrast, which we could switch with some other color when image loads.
>The swithed color would most of the time be transparent, but not
>necessarily. We are not talking about a new property, but a new value for
>background.

I don't think we do need anything within the standards to provide for
technical failures. The image will be loaded. That is the premise.
Degrading gracefully should be done on older standards.

I can't quite remember the properties anymore, but back in the old
(mosaic) days we used to preload a 2-bit b/w dithered image before the
color image.
Standards are about how stuff should work, eventualities where it should
not, means falling back on an older standard

--
Ron van den Boogaard
<ron@ronvdb.com>