Re: Solving the alpha images and background-color problem

From: Laurens Holst <lholst@students.cs.uu.nl>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 13:57:35 +0200
To: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
CC: www-style@w3.org

David Woolley wrote:
>> Also, I think it might be better to turn it around - not specify the
>> ‘onimageload’, but the ‘whileimagenotloaded’ (standin-color() sounds
>> like a better name), if you understand what I mean. After all, if all
>>
> No.  That doesn't fail gracefully.

Eh, how? I’d say for a client that doesn’t support it, according to the
CSS error handling rules it should ignore the property as a whole...?

And even if a client interprets the color and just ignores the supposed
standin-color() value, then it would show the background that belongs to
the image. It is a problem in case the image doesn’t load (as it is
right now), but the alternative in such a case is to have a messed-up
background when the image *does* load. Which is basically the reason why
I thought turning it around would be more ‘logical’. Anyways, this is
just hypothetical as a client which doesn’t support standin-color
should, as said, just ignore the entire property.

~Grauw