Re: Conclusion for :read-only and :read-write?

From: Matthew Raymond <mattraymond@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 13:48:08 -0400
To: Kelly Miller <lightsolphoenix@gmail.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org

Kelly Miller wrote:
> I believe that viewpoint is correct.  From that viewpoint, :read-write
> and :read-only actually become "subclasses" of :enabled.

   Actually, no. The attributes "readonly" and "disabled" are neither
subclasses of each other, nor are they mutually exclusive. Therefore, a
disabled control is not necessarily read-only and vice versa. In order
to be read-only, it must be set as such. The same for disabled. (I'm
speaking of HTML, though. I don't know if that's the case for XForms. It
depends on the language.)