Re: Editorial Comment on CSS3 Values and Units (and perhaps other specs)

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 18:37:51 +0200
To: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

Also sprach Elliotte Harold:

 > A minor point, but one that perceptibly enhances the appearance of W3C
 > specs: I was wondering if it was perhaps time to start using curly
 > quotes in W3C specs.

I agree that "curly quotes" look better, especially on print. Using
the Prince formatter, I have recently created PDF documents from XML
versions of Project Gutenberg texts. For a sample, see [1]. The XML
markup is good, but the ASCII quotes were still in place when I
fetched the files. I wrote a little Perl script to automate the
conversion to "curly quotes" [2]. Improvements welcome.

[1] http://www.princexml.com/samples.html#fiction
[2] http://www.princexml.com/scripts/punc.pl.txt

-h&kon