Re: [css3-ui] Problems with :read-only and :read-write

Orion Adrian wrote:
> Users be damned eh?

I am a user of many many websites, and am absolutely thrilled by the
fact that they don’t all look the same. I gladly recall when I first
browsed around the Zen garden, and am a happy user of many other
prettily styled (but more informational :)) websites, such as Wikipedia.
It seems you are a minority of the users that you want it otherwise.

> I guess I find major issue with the approach the W3C is taking with
> its two biggest specs. Users be damned. Nothing like sanctioned abuse
> huh?

If you don’t like CSS (and that other spec), then why post here. It’s
not going to change, its design and goals have been set long long ago,
it has too much progress and has gained too much support from various
parties who apparently *do* think it is a good idea. Doing it
differently would be another language, not CSS.

My opinion on what your ideas in this subject is perhaps ‘noble’, but
also very naive. Additionally, as long as the underlying markup is
semantic, a website is accessible. Nothing is withholding anyone from
representing that content in an accessible way, in case that is necessary.

Repeating yourself over and over is only annoying, I understood your
point a long time ago.

Additionally, you have both objections against using CSS as a styling
language as as a layout language, and that makes me wonder: what’s left
then? Why do you need CSS *at all*? XHTML lets the authors mark up their
documents semantically, and XHTML 2.0 even lets you specify roles for
different sections of the document so that you can arrange them all over
your screen exactly how you like it, even in separate windows if you
would want that. And you can make a stylesheet such that every website
blends right into your OS. What else do you need?

So, I would still like to hear your view on simply turning off the CSS
on websites and using a custom stylesheet of your own. Given that you
dislike CSS’s current functionality and use so much, surely you must be
doing it your own way? If not, you are preaching something that you do
not practice.

~Grauw