Re: [css3-ui] Problems with :read-only and :read-write (was [WF2] Readonly and default pseudoclass matching)

From: Brad Fults <bfults@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 17:06:50 -0700
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, www-style@w3.org
On 7/31/05, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:

> > Then shouldn't we have pseudo-classes specifically for editors
>
> Possibly. As things stand in CSS3-UI, those are :read-only and
> :read-write.

This seems like an obvious distinction that must be made. When I think of
using :read-only and :read-write, it's for a typical HTML page where the
only editable things are form controls, etc. This is largely where existing
CSS applies and extending to encompass contentEditable seems unwieldy.

This discussion has proven that both of these pseudo-classes lose meaning
when applied to editors, so I think it makes sense to create a separate
specification (along with its own pseudo-classes) for CSS in editors.

--
Brad Fults
NeatBox