Aural/Speech Media type

From: Ryan Cannon <ryan@ryancannon.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 11:48:46 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org

 From http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/aural.html#aural-media-group:

 > We expect that in a future level of CSS there will be new properties
 > and values defined for speech output. Therefore CSS 2.1 reserves the
 > 'speech' media type (see chapter 7, "Media types"), but does not yet
 > define which properties do or do not apply to it.
 >
 > The properties in this appendix apply to a media type 'aural', that
 > was introduced in CSS2. The type 'aural' is now deprecated.

The spec attempts to clarify by stating that using @media speech is
valid but undefined, and @media aural is defined but depricated.

So what is the "proper" media type for stylesheets referenced by a
speech-synthesizing browser? The only implementer thus far (Opera)
admits (after some ridiculous digging) that they don't support either[1].

     [1]
http://my.opera.com/forums/showthread.php?s=0417a95510517c30aa0cfef987d6a4de&threadid=67355

--

Ryan Cannon