Re: CSS selectors and xml:id

From: Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 11:42:45 +0200
To: Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>
Cc: Paul Grosso <pgrosso@arbortext.com>, www-style@w3.org, public-xml-core-wg@w3.org

Bert Bos wrote:
>>Specifically, would it make sense for the CSS specification
>>to state explicitly that attributes named xml:id will be
>>treated as IDs when styling XML documents?
>
> I think it is better to keep the language abstract, because there are
> no XML formats that allow xml:id yet, let alone formats that are
> supported by CSS UAs, so we won't be able to test such a statement.
> And that would keep CSS 2.1 from exiting CR.

SVG Mobile 1.2 explicitly requires xml:id support. This means that SVG
1.2 UAs will support CSS styling of documents containing xml:id. I don't
know if Batik already supports xml:id but I wouldn't be surprised if it
did. There's also been discussion about this in Mozilla and it looked
like xml:id would be going in.

--
Robin Berjon
   Research Scientist