Re: [OT] [CSS21] xml namespace (was Re: xml:id versus xmlid)

On Tuesday, April 26, 2005, 7:19:10 PM, Ian wrote:

IH> On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, Robin Berjon wrote:
>>
>> I know you disagreed last time we discussed this but I would expect
>> anyone using namespaces in CSS selectors to have an existing experience
>> with XML namespaces (since they predate by a fair margin).

IH> I still disagree. Most authors using namespaces in CSS selectors will have
IH> experience with CSS and HTML,

That makes quite an assumption. It assumes that CSS has hit the limits
of growth and is confined, and will always be confined, to (X)HTML.

Rather, it could be argued that CSS styling is not much applied to
(non-HTML)XML because

- the implementations have not been up to scratch
- there has been no (documented) namespace support.

IH>  and zero experience with XML namespaces.

For authors of XML documents who want to use CSS, this seems very
unlikely.

I agree with Robin that anyone using namespaces in CSS selectors already
knows about XML namespaces and merely needs to have documented the
syntax that CSS uses to declare a namespace prefix and to do
namespace-aware matching.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead