Re: [OT] [CSS21] xml namespace (was Re: xml:id versus xmlid)

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 17:19:10 +0000 (UTC)
To: Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Cc: "Henry S. Thompson" <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>, www-style@w3.org, Norman Walsh <Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM>, public-xml-id@w3.org

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, Robin Berjon wrote:

> I know you disagreed last time we discussed this but I would expect
> anyone using namespaces in CSS selectors to have an existing experience
> with XML namespaces (since they predate by a fair margin).

I still disagree. Most authors using namespaces in CSS selectors will have
experience with CSS and HTML, and zero experience with XML namespaces.
They will be copying boilerplate to style their XHTML+something documents.

(By your argument, anyone using attributes in HTML would have existing
experience with SGML attributes because SGML predates HTML by a fair
margin. Obviously though that's not the case.)